So Imagine if you can, the gun has gone off and you are cruising at a pretty fast speed, you are moving and everything is right. You past mile 1 and at mile 2 you feel pretty good and then you turn on to Hayes St and this infamous San Francisco goliath hill is just starting Down at you waiting for you to battle this 11% grade hill. Talk about crazy stuff. This is the Bay To Breakers Race in San Francisco, a great party on the course that you should experience. I took this picture somewhat at the top and lets just say the picture doesn’t do the hill much justice. As I approached the base of the hill I was flying and said “eff it” in my mind and attacked this goliath, I crushed 90% of the hill and died a slow death the rest of the 10%, hence the picture.
My time in San Francisco was amazing. I was fortunate enough to explore the city by day and night, finding the city’s hidden gems along the way. On Saturday it was an eventful day for me as I spoke to about 60 plus runners on the lawn of SF City Hall and talked to runners who were accepted into the NYC Marathon in November. My speech was not like a YOU CAN DO IT speech but rather an inspirational speech of the power and exhilaration you experience when running NYC. My focus was to show them how to train for this race. For those running to try to PR my message was how to train for this brutal race, how to strategize and what to expect. For the runners just running to finish, my message was to help them visualize what to see and what not to miss along the way. I think the majority were all there to try to PR so the emphasis was preparation for the greatest race in the world. When I finished my 45 minute speech, they all had a glow in their face and were ready at that moment to run NY. It was a great moment we all shared there on the lawn.
On Sunday when I showed up to the start line of the race and walked up to my corral I should have known then it was going to be a crazy race when a 70-year-old grandma runner smacked me pretty good with a flying tortilla. At this point there were tortillas everywhere, it was so much fun. The race was basically a circus. I passed LMFAO impersonators, cavemen, rabbits, pippy long stalking, and so many naked runners with just running shoes on. Truly you know you are in the city of love when you see this. The course was beautiful and passed through historic sites and ended at Golden Gate Park right at the beach. A beautiful day in SF and another race to the archive.
Despite the great speech to inspire the runners in San Francisco all headed to NYC in November and the great race, the week was really all about my sister Alizabeth here to the left on my shoulders. She took her last state board test to become an official practicing Dr. There is no greater feeling in the world for her knowing she wont have to pick up a book to study anymore and the weekend was a celebration of her long journey. She inspires me daily with her commitment and her passion to make the world around her a healthy and more loving environment. We had a great time here in San francisco and just another page in our book. Goodbye from SF, have a great day and never forget to find a way to become legendary.